Friday, July 30, 2010

That's amore

Today I went on an Italian adventure. I've been craving an authentic Italian meaty spaghetti sauce for some time now. The first time I had some was at my friend Christie's aunt's house and then again at her cousin's. I know how Italians can be about their sauce recipes so I didn't even bother to ask. So I did a little research online and found Tony Danza's recipe on foodnetwork.com. I fed Bruiser Bear then hopped in the car to gather ingredients from Publix. On the way home I figured I should pick up my prescriptions from Walgreen's so I got pulled up to the drive through. What A Joke!!!! There was one car in front of me. Over the course of 30 minutes 4 cars pulled in behind me and all bailed out of line because it was taking such a long time. I finally followed suit thinking of the huge ice cube that was forming from my bag of ice in my trunk :( it made me very grumpy!!!!!!! What terrible awful rotten customer NON service!!!! All that time wasted and nothing to show for it!
Finally at home I started to get ingredients put together. I was squishing plumb tomatoes with my hands through a colander when my mom walked in the door. She decided it was her day's mission to clean, THOROUGHLY, my laundry/pantry/utility room. I continued making sauce, completely surprised by the am out of garlic I kept having to chop for each step of the recipe. After chopping for at least the third time, I left the knife on the cutting board covered with most of the garlic I had just finished. Well, as you can tell by the set up, something bad happened. I bumped the knife off the counter and not thinking AT ALL I tried to catch the knife...to no avail. The blade landed on my finger before coming to its resting place on the floor flinging tons of fresh sticky garlic bits ALL OVER my floor. BIG bummer! I examined my fingertips and found I had cut the side of my left middle finger. Why is it that if you are going to injure a finger it always seems to be the middle one? Perhaps because it's the tallest. Whatever.
Cleaned and bandaged, I finished my sauce. Delicioso!!!!! I'm taking it to Mike and Kara's house tonight for dinner. We are planning next year's family reunion to Dallas, Texas.
Then I heated up pulled pork and mashed potatoes for lunch for my mom and myself. I made the pulled pork over the past 2 days. I used Alton Brown's brine recipe and a delicioso rub that I bought in Oklahoma last Christmas. After the pork butt bathed in brine over night I popped it in the oven alllllllllllll day long. It was way more moist than I'm used to, but that made it that much more scrumptious.
Last night Collin and I went to Cheesecake Factory with my mom, Keeley, her nannyee Ryan, and Bethany. We got coupons for $1.50 slices of cheesecake for being Facebook fans. We got a slice the new Reese's cheesecake, red velvet, tuxedo, and Godiva. The Reese's slice had so many different layers that you had to take a HUGE bite to get the full experience. It was very yummy! I really like the red velvet one also... And the tuxedo... Godiva is good too but very very rich so I can't eat more than maybe 2 bites.

Three time sensitive shopping tips:
1. TODAY: 1/2 price cheesecake at Cheesecake factory
2. Ends Saturday: An extra 40% off all sale items at Dillard's
3. Buy One get one free: lots of fun things at Publix. I like to use bogo as an opportunity to try different varieties of my favorite items. Velveeta shells and cheese is on sale a
So I got one box of the original flavor and one box of 4 cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment