Monday, February 28, 2011

Paradise LOST

Yes. That is a naked index finger.

Friday, February 25: Went to Nail Paradise at McNab and Federal for a "shellac" manicure.  These manicures are told to last up to 2 weeks without chipping. 

Obviously something went wrong.

First off: One of the ladies at the counter handed me a stack of color samples to choose from for my manicure.  They were labeled "shellac", "Gell" and a few others that I can't remember.  The "shellac" sample only had about 6 colors, none of which I was fond of.  I had my heart set on purple.  So I asked what the other samples were and if they were as strong and long lasting as the "shellac." The woman assured me that they were just as good, they were just different brand names.  So, I chose a purple.

I was seated with "Jay" a male Vietnamese manicurist.  Ok.  In a lot of cases the dudes do a better job.  NOT in Jay's case.  He started off by berating me for being married and having a child at such a young age.  He, a 31 year old single male manicurist.  Enough said.  Then he proceeded to tell me about his friend's bachelor party.  I'll just tell you that it was GROSS.  Enough said.  In the process of Jay doing my nails, the color on my right thumb started to droop.  He started all over again on my thumb.  A few minutes later he has removed the color on two more of my nails and started all over. 

I didn't mention that I took my friend Melissa with me on this adventure.  She decided on a traditional mani/pedi.  She was completely finished before I was done with my manicure.  I knew the process was going to take longer than a traditional manicure, but this was ridiculous.

At the end of our experience we had been there 2 hours. 

I was extremely happy with the results of my pretty new sparkly purple nails.  I thought that if they were this pretty for 2 weeks, I might have to somehow justify going for a manicure this often.  My nails lasted through the weekend and the lovely wedding we attended.

HOWEVER! This morning somewhere between waking up, doing dishes, cleaning out the microwave, feeding the beebus, and getting dressed to head out the door, one of my fingers seems a little lighter in weight.  I look down and to my utter dismay my "2 week lasting" manicure had not chipped but come completely off... gone.  I don't know where it is.  It'll get vacuumed up soon I'm sure or batted around by a cat far under some piece of furniture. 

UGH!!!!! So, not only did I waste 2 hours of my life on Friday listening to Jay yap about how gross of a male he is, but he screwed up so bad that it took that long and now one of my polished nails is naked. 

I think I may just paint it a similar color that I have at home, to salvage the rest of my manicure for at least a few days.

I'll revert to doing my own nails from now on.  At least if I cut a cuticle I know my own tools are clean. Yeah, he cut my cuticle too.

2 comments:

  1. Tell me you are taking the receipt, with the date visible to the salon and asking for your money back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such crap! you better go back and ask for either a refund or a free pedicure!

    I used these last week & they are so neato. $10, DIY & mine lasted 8 days!

    http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P263902&categoryId=RPYMAL&shouldPaginate=

    (I did the chrome lace, not the tiger!)

    ReplyDelete